Dr. Prasanta Kumar Ghosh
- Dr. Prasanta Kumar Ghosh did his M. Tech in Chemical Engineering & Chemical Technology followed by a Ph D from Calcutta University.
- He worked initially with the Government of India, where he held several key positions; he retired from the government service as the Advisor from the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology in May 2002. He handled the Indian Drugs Policy and Drugs Pricing in several facets during the initial years from 1968 to 1980 and made significant contributions. He was the sole Indian representative in the First Consultation of Pharmaceutical Industry meeting of the UNIDO, held in Lisbon during December 1980 and prepared the document on ‘The Pricing and Availability of Intermediates and Bulk Drugs’ for the meeting. In the area of biotechnology, his major contributions are recognized towards conceptualizing and implementing bio-safety issues related to the use of genetically modified organisms in research and applications; facilitating intellectual property protection; transferring several technologies from the Universities to the industry; and facilitating the creation of several centers of excellence and institutions in the country. His contributions in the creation of policies and processes for the introduction of recombinant DNA products in healthcare and agriculture are acclaimed.
- His contributions towards the commercialization of Bt-Cotton technology in India are widely commended.
- While in government, he was the sole representative from India and the Asian region on the Bureau of the Intergovernmental Committee on Cartagena Protocol (ICCP) on Bio-safety. ICCP was responsible for implementing the Cartagena Protocol for trans-boundary movement of Living Modified Organisms globally.
- He was a Biotech Consultant from 2002 and advised M/s Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Ahmedabad, where he was elevated to the position of President in Biotechnology and spent more than five years with the company, developing certain new biotech products that were introduced in the market.
- He has more than 80 publications in national and international journals. He authored two books and holds two US Patents on Polymeric Hydrophilic Nano-particles.
- He is a Fellow of several learned Societies including the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK), Institutions of Engineers (India) and Institution of Chemists (India).
- For his contributions in promoting biotechnology, he was felicitated with the Udyog Bandhu award from the Chamber of Indian Trade and Industry.
- He was the Managing Director of M/s KEE GAD Biogen Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (www.keegad.com) from Feb 2008 to March 2015.
- Presently he is a Consultant in Biotechnology and runs a company by the name Sompradip Publishers and Consultants, New Delhi. This website is also for the company where among other things, Identity Preservation for handling Living Modified Organisms (LMOs) in India and other countries for taking advantage of increased agricultural productivity through the use of more productive LMO cultivars in agriculture shall be researched upon and elaborated.
"To propagate biotechnology inventions through people-friendly versions"
"To create an internationally recognized, trustworthy, world-class website for biotechnology"