- Provided the first experimental evidence that the tri-molecular reaction between phenol and acetone to form Bisphenol-A is actually a second order reaction that proceeds through the rate limiting intermediate formation of a tertiary alcohol 2-(4-hydroxyphenyl) –propan-2-ol (A). It was hypothesized that the rate of condensation enhanced by mercaptans was due to the formation of hemithioketals and thioketals that enhanced the concentration of 1,1-dimethyl-1-hydroxy- carbonium ion, which resulted in increased formation of (A). (A) then formed the corresponding carbonium ion in acidic environment and condensed fast with phenol to form Bisphenol-A.
1. P K. Ghosh, T. Guha and A.N. Saha, Kinetic Study of Formation of Bisphenol-A. J. Applied Chem. (London) 17 (8), 1967, 239-242
- As a part of the research team at the University of Delhi during 1996 to 2001, produced hydrophilic polymeric nano-particles ,where model substances and specific drugs (Paclitaxol) were entrapped inside the nano-particles.
1. N. Maitra, P.K. Ghosh and Sanjeev Sahu., pH and thermosensitive hydrogel nano-particles. J Colloid Interface Sci 206, 361-368, 1998.
2. P K. Ghosh et .alBiodistribution of Fluorscented Dextran using novel Nano-Particles evading Reticuloendothelial System, International Journal of Pharmaceuticals, 2000, Vol. 202, pp.1-10
3. P K. Ghosh, Hydrophilic polymeric nano-particles as drug carriers, Indian journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2000, Vol. 37, pp 273-282.
4. US Patent No. 5874111, Feb. 1999. Inventors: A.N. Maitra, P.K. Ghosh, Tapas Dey and Sanjeev Sahu , Process for the preparation of highly mono-dispersed polymeric hydrophilic nanoparticles.
5. US Patent No. 6322817 dated 27th November 2001. Inventors: A.N. Maitra, Sanjeev Kumar Sahu, P.K. Ghosh, A.C. Burman, R Mukherjee, D. Khattar, M. Kumar & S. Paul, Formulations of PACLITAXEL, its derivatives or its analogs entrapped into nanoparticles of polymeric micelles, process for preparing same and the use thereof.
- Developed a novel method for the depolymerization of natural hyaluronic acid from cook’s comb to precise molecular size range.
1. Dhimant P. Mehta, Kushal Shodhan, Rajiv I. Modi and Prasanta K. Ghosh Sodium Hyaluronate of Defined Molecular Size For Treating Osteoarthritis, Current Science Vol. 92 No. 2; Jan 2007 pp 209-212.
- Developed a unique composting method for coir pith that naturally enhances aeration and facilitates escape of formed carbon dioxide during composting process.
1. P. K. Ghosh , Sarma U. S., Ravindaranath A. D., Radakrishnan S., Ghosh P., A Novel Method for Accelerated Composting of Coir Pith., Energy & Fuels Vol. 21; pp: 822-827; 2007.
- Developed an unique cold extraction process of isolating active ingredients from phyto chemicals to study their wound healing capabilities.
1. P K. Ghosh, V.B. Gupta, M.S. Rathore and Iqbal Hussain, Wound healing potential of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of apamarga leaves, IJGP, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2011, pp 12-15
2. P K. Ghosh and A. Gaba, Phyto-Extracts in Wound Healing, J. Pharm Pharma Sci, 16(5), 2013, 760-820
- Played a key role in formulating national policies to promote the development and production of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) in India from the basic stage in late 60s and the decade of 70s.
- Also played an important role in rationalizing and reducing the prices of pharmaceutical formulations in India during the decade of 70s to benefit the common man.
- Promoted in early 90s, the creation of alliance between Industry and Institutions in India and developed policies for easing protection of Intellectual Property Rights for inventions in Public funded Institutions, working in Biotechnology. Pioneered in transferring institutionally developed technologies to industry.
- Played a major role in conceptualizing and implementing Bio-safety Issues related to the use of Genetically Modified Substances and Organisms in Research and Applications in India. Had substantially contributed to inducting Bt Cotton technology in Indian agriculture.
- Played a significant role in the adoption of the Cartagena Protocol on Bio-safety which is a Treaty meant for regulating the trans-boundary movement of Living Modified Organisms across the borders of Countries.